Wednesday, June 22, 2005

'Summer'izing the points

'

....... Summmmmmer tiiiiime - and the living is easy ..................

It has been summer for some time now - just that my laziness had allowed this blog to simmer in my head with no verbal outpourings - how is that for analogy eh? Well, the reason my topic has shifted to seasons is not 'coz my life in Iowa City is mostly spent in battling the everchanging climate (or am trying to stimulate a conversation), but that SUMMER is almost a verb here. The streets are bereft of those drunken hordes of clueless teenagers (under25-ers, whatever...) and the place is teeming with families doing activities that do not involve bar crawls or passing out on the streets. With the last melting snow, comes in this season of blossoming wild flowers, long lazy days, cool greenery and magnificent sunsets. Oh how I love this time of the year!!!!

Nothing portends summer in Iowa City like:
  1. Watermelons for sale at 49c/lb,
  2. The fountain at Ped Mall, teeming with dripping kids and vigilant parents,
  3. Farmer's Market on Saturdays: fresh produce and beautiful flowers,
  4. Friday night live music concerts (oooh! and dancing with the Salsa Band),
  5. River Fest Rides at the Hubbard park
  6. Downtown Iowa City Art Fair - Crafty!
  7. Late night open-air movies by the IMU river bank: Free Popcorn -Yoo Hoo!!!!
  8. Bunch of screaming desis in the Seville pool,
  9. Frisbee in the park
  10. Scooters and bikes in the streets
  11. Ice creams at Whitey's/Culver's or that cute little place in Tiffin,
  12. Canoeing/motor boat rides at Lake McBride,
  13. Morning/Nature walks along the Mormon Trek handcart trail,
  14. Barbecues and Eat outs
  15. Biking along the Iowa river corridor,
  16. Smell of freshly cut grass,
  17. Road Trips (sun roof pulled down and music blaring at full blast)!!!!!,
  18. Capris and coolers,
  19. Glorious sunset in Kent Park - till the fireflies arise in unison from the grassy meadows........,
  20. Strawberry smoothies and chilled margaritas,
  21. thayeer saadam with urga/hulli majjiges,
  22. Late evening tennis lessons for newbies on weekends (ref Sarita)
  23. Shakespeare Festival in the open air stage at City Park
  24. Jazz Festival in downtown: The three day soiree!
  25. Sidewalk sales

...... Wish it would all last forever!

...and then .... maybe it is more fun 'coz it does'nt !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog makes me feel as if I'm not living for myself at all. Lucky you!!! :) That summer's got so much to offer at Iowa. Here in Chennai, summer's got nothing except searing heat and non-stop sweating... Or maybe.... Maybe I'm missing out of looking out for things that are also a part of summer... Maybe I dont give enough time to myself to stop and look at things rather than just driving from home to office and back, in between those two points most of my life is spent.. Hope that it lasts forever for you.. Cheers!!!

Who else?? This could have qualified as a blog if I published on my page :).. Take care....
Rupam :)

SM said...

'Cooool'...nice job with the 'summer'y of Iowa city summers :-D

(21) weekend late evening tennis lessons for a bunch of struggling newbies

Keep blogging !

Sanyu J said...

Thanks Guys! Some things are so "Hot" that they are "coool!" - I don't know what I mean by that - I think the heat has gotten into my head now ;)

22) Shakespeare Festival in the open air stage at City Park.

I just keep remembering more stuff :(